The holiday season is officially here and there is no season I love to decorate for more than this one! I love everything about the season. Especially the traditions however as much as I love traditions I’ll be the first to admit there is one family tradition I have abandoned when I married my husband 19 years ago.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you in collaboration with Home Decorators Collection ® as part of the HDC Holiday Homes. As always, all opinions are 100% my own based on personal experience.
The tradition that I abandoned is decorating the house with fresh greenery and yes that includes a freshly cut tree. GASP… I know!
There are two types of families, those who decorate with fresh greenery and those who decorate with faux greenery. As a child, my family always decorated with fresh trees, fresh garland, and fresh wreaths. Our church even had an entire service dedicated to the “hanging of the greens”. I enjoyed that so much!
Why did I abandon my tradition when I loved decorating with fresh greenery so much as a child? Well, there’s several reasons.
We decorate pretty early to help ease the stress of the season.With A faux tree, we don’t have to worry about it dying too soon.Faux greenery creates less mess and is easy to pack up and store. Quality faux greenery does not lose it’s needles and creates far less mess that fresh greenery.
You can buy wreaths, trees, garland and more already prelit. I cannot tell you how much I cannot stand putting lights on garland and trees. Prelit greenery is so easy, it saves time and my sanity. I like to collect greenery and to build on my collection. Fresh greenery is a little less expensive but the cost accumulates over the years. Good quality faux greenery like this garland I use on my mantel will be beautiful for many years and I love how my DIY distressed vintage Merry Christmas sign looks behind the greenery.
If you are like me and want to make life a little easier. Start your Faux Greenery Collection today by shopping with Home Decorators Collection ® and use my 8 Tips and Tricks for Decorating with Faux Greenery.
Tips and Tricks for Decorating with Faux Greenery
- Buy quality greenery. You can tell it’s quality when the branches are thick and fluffy.
- Make sure the faux greenery doesn’t look “fake”.
- Make sure you get the prelit greenery. This will save time and money!
- Fluff, bend and arrange your faux greenery. If you see holes or spots that look “funny” bend and move some branches to make it look more realistic and fill the holes.
- Speaking of fluffing, use cotton gloves when fluffing your greenery. The branches and needles can be sharp, you will want to protect your hands.
- For wreaths and other outside greenery, timers are awesome. These wreaths and mailbox swag have built in timers. So easy!
- Double up on the greenery. My mantel garland is super fluffy as is. However, with an extra thick mantel I wanted extra thick garland. I actually used two garlands on top of each other to create an even fuller look!
- Add your own personal touches. Last year I added bright colorful balls to my this garland. This year I went for the more traditional look by adding sprays of berries.
Follow along with us on social media using hashtag #HDCholiday homes for tons of beautiful holiday decorating inspiration!