We are huge fans of Halloween. Our family takes pumpkin carving very, very seriously. We take great pride in picking out the best pumpkin. We visit our local pumpkin patch every year in search of the perfect pumpkin!
Every year the characteristics of our perfect pumpkin change. One year, 2011 to be exact we were determined to get the perfect GIANT pumpkin. In 2009 we had a little pumpkin in the oven, yep that’s Jude in there not an actual pumpkin. Gavin picked out the smoothest pumpkin ever that year. This year Jude insisted on having a perfect bumpy pumpkin. We pick out pumpkins like people pick out Christmas trees. We are very picky.
After we select our perfect pumpkin we take great consideration on how we are going to carve the pumpkin. For years we were only carving with knives and creating simple designs. Until about 5 years ago when my husband brought some Pumpkin Masters Carving Kits home from the Target. Pumpkin Masters is available at your local grocery, drug, or craft store, and nationally at Target and Walmart.
From that point on we were hooked on Pumpkin Masters Carving Kits! Look at the one my husband created a few years back. IT ROCKED! We were well on our way to becoming pumpkin masters ourselves.
Tips for Carving Pumpkins with Children
- Put the KNIVES up! It is never safe to use sharp knives with kids.
- Let small children participate in age appropriate steps. Scooping out the pumpkin guts is perfect for little kids. The sensory experiences are amazing for growing young minds
- Children can choose the patterns, this gives them a great sense of being involved and practicing their decision making skills
- Older children can safely use Pumpkin Master Carving tools
- Young children can safely use most tools from the Pumpkin Master Carving Kit with assistance and as always with supervision.
- Children can easily turn on the strobe lights and place them in the pumpkin.
- Accessories such as eyeballs can be added by young children and older children.
- Ask your kids open ended questions during teachable moments.
- Remember kids learn through experience encourage them and enable them to do as much of the work as they can.
- Watch our video below to see how we used these tips
Pumpkin Masters carving kits provide: The perfect economical activity for the family to enjoy together and An easier and safer carving experience than kitchen knives.
The kits have all sorts of awesome tools that make carving super easy. My favorite is the scooper. I just love how it gets out all of the pulp!
Gavin loved creating his own pumpkin. He literally choose one of the hardest patterns but he stuck with it and the end result was awesome.
Look at these amazing pumpkins! Jude picked out the spider design, watch our video below to see how the whole process went. He had zero interest in pumpkin carving but he finally came around and really got in to it! “Enter if You Dare” is Gavin’s and boy did he work hard on it. Mine of course was the freestyle pumpkin, I really enjoyed using the punches and the pumpkin shavers.