What’s one of the most important things you need when moving into a new house? I’ll give you a few hints. they provide privacy, help with cooling and heating, you need more than one, they can be really expensive. Did you guess Curtains and Curtain Rods? If you did you are right! Curtains and Curtain Rods are super important in a new house but they are down right expensive. I’ve had to get really creative in our new house like with these DIY Wooden Cornices in Jude’s room. And now I want to show you how to DIY Curtain Rods so you can save money and get a really cool look too!
Curtain Rods so Expensive
The truth is, I have no idea why curtain rods are so expensive. I also have no idea why finding the perfect curtain rod is not always easy. Sometimes the standard rod may not be available in the size and style you are looking for. Chances are if you have a big window you will have to shell out big bucks for custom rods.
I personally did not have that option. If you find yourself in a similar situation you may want to consider DIY curtain rods. This industrial pipe curtain rod is not only attractive but extremely easy to build. If you have two people and 10 minutes you can create these unique curtain rods and check this project off your to-do list!
Items Needed for DIY Curtain Rod
*all links below are affiliate links
- Drill (drill bit and screw bit)
- Stud Finder
- Anchors if Needed (these are my personal favorite)
- (two) ¾” floor flanges
- (two) ¾” elbows (90 Degrees with male and female ends)
- (one) ¾’ union jack iron fitting (you could also use a t-joint)
- (two) ¾” gas pipe ( four feet long)
*Shopping for the piping can be confusing. There are so many pieces to choose from. For this project I used all ¾” gas pipe. There are different thicknesses of pipe, make sure you take notice of that when purchasing. Lastly, this list is for an 8 foot curtain rod. If you need a shorter rod or a longer rod you can eliminate the union jack iron fitting and use a different length of pipe.
Steps for DIY Curtain Rods
- Clean grease and stickers off piping.
- Connect pipes with the union jack iron fitting.
- Connect the female end of the 90-degree elbow joint to the end of the pipe on both sides of the pipe.
- Connect both floor flanges to the male end of the 90-degree elbow joint
- Grab two ladders and a second person. Hold the curtain rod on the wall above the window and mark the screw holes.
- Pre-drill holes and add screw anchors
- Place rod over holes and screw to wall.
Hanging Curtain rods Can be tricky. Here’s a post about hanging Curtain rods around Decorative Molding
The last step to these awesome DIY curtain rods is to add your curtains. I would suggest using shower curtain hooks so that you can easily take the curtains down for laundering. Otherwise, you will need to add curtains before step number 2.
Keep in mind that gas pipes come in a variety of sizes so these DIY curtain rods can be built in a large number of configurations. Make these your own by creating your own combination and color. You can spray paint them to add a punch of color too! Get creative and enjoy your easy and super attractive DIY curtain rods.
Feel Free to Pin this Post to Remember it for Later