Hi everyone, I hope you guys have been able to enjoy at least a little bit of the sunshine that we have here in Tennessee. As some of you know we have gone from a 1200 sq ft condo to a 2800 sq ft home in the past year. This doesn’t include the fact that we have upgraded from a small balcony to a front porch and a back patio. Where do you start, when there is so much to do and so much to buy? Well, we are pacing ourselves.
This spring we started with making over the front yard and the front porch. After all, it is the first impression you give all of your neighbors and visitors. Later this week I will reveal the entire front porch as well as the full landscaping project but for now here’s a little Outdoor Pillow DIY.
After scouring the local stores and checking online resources for large outdoor pillows that were budget friendly I gave in and decided to make my own.
Here’s what you need to make an Outdoor Pillow:
- Indoor/Outdoor Tablecloth ($16.50 from TJMax)
- Bed pillows ($2.50 from Target)
- Shower curtain Lining ($1.oo from Dollar Tree)
I choose this particular table cloth knowing that I wanted the square with the flower to be in the center on the front of the pillow. I made sure to center the flower and cut the front piece to 24″ x22″. However you can make your pillow any size you wish. If you have a picture you want to center just make sure you are measuring accordingly.
I cut the two back pieces to make an envelope style pillow. One small 24″x13″ and One larger 24″ X15. I used the table cloth finished edge to my advantage so that I would not have to hem. One side that is 24″ is already finished, if you use the finished edge of the table cloth as well you will not need to hem your top raw edge of your envelop closure.
Place your pieces right sides together. I sewed the bottoms first and then the sides. Remember if you used the hemmed part of the table cloth then the opening at the top will already be hemmed. Flip you case inside out.
Using the shower curtain liner, place it around the pillow and sew around it. Yes, I used the sewing machine and no it does not look pretty but I don’t think any one will be seeing it. The purpose of this step is to prevent the pillow from mildew and mold.
Here is the back and if you look closely you can see the finished edge I was talking about. I did not sew the finished edge where the opening is. That is the actual hem of the original table cloth. I am not the best seamstress, nor do I even know much about my machine. However, if I can do this you can too! Trust me! My machine and I are arch enemies! After only a few jams I was able to finish two of these bad boys in about an 1 hour and a half. What do you think! Oh by the way it poured yesterday and they repelled the water and dried very quickly!